- Before transplantation
- During transplantation
- After transplantation
Thorough (detailed) consultation with the hair surgeon is absolutely necessary. During an initial consultation, the surgeon evaluates the patient's state of health to rule out serious illnesses. He or she analyses the patient's scalp, evaluates the intensity of hair loss, skin changes and genetic predispositions, and recommends the most suitable way and extent of the transplantation. The consultation also involves post-treatment care.
2. Before hair transplantation
- It is not recommended to use medicine containing acetylsalicylic acid (Acylpyrin, Aspirin, Aspro, Acylcoffin) or Ibuprofen one month before the surgery
- One week before the surgery, the hair should be washed daily in order to remove dandruff
- The patient should not smoke at least six hours before the surgery
- The treatment should be postponed in case of flu or viral disease 3 weeks before the transplantation
- Preoperative examination should not be older than 3 days
- The patient must not eat or drink at least six hours before the surgery
- The patient should not drive after the surgery
3. During hair transplantation
The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia in two steps:
First step – harvesting of hair follicles. The surgeon harvests a strip of skin from the posterior scalp. The excised strip is about 1 x 10 cm in size. From this strip of healthy hair, grafts containing 1-3 hair follicles are obtained. This procedure takes 1 - 2 hours.
Second step - transfer of hair follicles. Hair follicles are put in small incisions in the skin. This procedure takes 3-5 hours depending on the extent of the transplantation.
The whole head is bandaged after the surgery. The bandage protects the small wounds and reduces the swellings. The stitches are removed after two weeks.
4. After hair transplantation
- The bandage is removed after 3-4 days after the surgery. The patient washes the hair daily at home.The stitches are removed after two weeks.
- The patient must rest during the recovery time so that the inserted hair follicles are not rejected.
- Little scabs that appear during healing can be lubricated with olive oil.
- Physical activities which cause excessive sweating are not recommended.
- The patient should avoid sun exposure, tanning salons and saunas. Smoking is also not recommended because it slows down the time of healing.
- Head covers, such hats and scarves, are recommended for at least 3 weeks
- The first hair may fall out after the transplantation. The second hair will remain permanently. The final effect is visible after 6 months